Monday, November 5, 2012

Retro Christmas Fabric!

good morning!

today is our 35th wedding anniversary!!

when reading 'small acorns' post today
i was reminded that it was 'guy fawke's day' in new zealand on that day...
except that it was a saturday in 1977.

our reception was held in my parent's back yard
and we did have fireworks...rockets and sparklers and the whole deal!
i was nineteen and mr w was twenty one...
i don't think either one of us thought we'd ever get this far..hehe!

i still have the wedding cards i received,
i'll have to dig out the best of them and show you...
you'll have a good laugh!
last week i bought a metre of retro christmas fabric
it arrived on friday.
it is light but has a great barkcloth texture
the gold is glorious and the colours perfect.
i think it must have been made in the fifties..maybe early sixties.
i've been thinking all weekend
about what to make with it.
my first thought was cushions
but then thought i don't want them ending up on the floor,
the fabric is too precious.
so i've been thinking of a table runner...
or one for my sideboard...
or perhaps placemats...
or even frame some of it for a christmas picture.
what would you do with it?
it's fun just thinking about it!
have a magical monday...
naturally Carol xox
btw...if you get in quick you can have some...
i checked this morning and there was some left in tanya's shop on her blogsite...
$7 metre + postage = it's a steal!


  1. I love buying new fabrics to make something with and what delightful fabric you bought, it looks like it's brand new. I think it would lovely in a table runner. I look forward to seeing what you create. Enjoy your Monday. x

  2. Happy 35th Anniversary!! Wishing you a lovely day celebrating!! Sweet fabric!! xo Heather

  3. I'm sorry I forgot to say Happy 35th Anniversary for today congratulations to you both. xx

  4. Happy Anniversary, what a young Bride you were! I would make a table runner and then you could remake it into something else later if you changed your mind.

  5. Happy wedding anniversary!
    I'm not sure what I would do with that fabric, but it is very lovely!
    Hope you're having a good anniversary xox

  6. Happy Happy you have clocked up some good number of years..well done you two.

  7. Happy Anniversary Carol! 35 years is a huge milestone. I agree with the others - a lovely table runner or one of your bags - it's nice to have festive bags this time of year. Hope you are having a lovely day. Mel x

  8. Happy Anniversary and congratulations Carol. One of my first thoughts for the fabric was a table runner too....and then I thought placemats...can't wait to see what you create.

  9. Hello Carol:
    Many congratulations on your 35th. Wedding Anniversary. You are three years ahead of us!!

    The fabric is lovely but, as you say, what to so with it?!!

  10. Happy anniversary! I remember the day well. I also remember that when the fire works lit up we saw all the neighbours lined up at the boundary of the property. I guess we had better fireworks than the average house hold that night. I also remember looking at you at the alter and getting the giggles rather badly! love Jillxx

  11. Oh, such wonderful news of your big wedding anniversary! Hope you had a lovely day and hoping you're surprised with a romantic evening! Enjoy x

  12. It's beautiful fabric, you could make a fabric board with ribbons to tuck you xmas cards into. Would make fabulous mini kitchen curtains too. I just bought some cute retro fabric today, the op shop lady wanted to know what I would do with it, and I replied "probably hoard it", sometimes it's fun just looking at retro fabric.

  13. oh and a very happy anniversary, no small milestone.

  14. Happy Anniversary Carol and Mr Natural.
    I think a frame or table runner. Anything you make would be gorgeous.

  15. Yes I agree a table runner would show it off perfectly.
    best wishes Julie.C

  16. Happy Aniversary Carol - 35 years is a real milestone these days - you really must have been a child bride!
    The fabric is lovely, can't wait to see what you do with it. cheers Wendy

  17. Happy Anniversary Carol...We had ours on the 3rd celebrating 33yrs.....
    A Tablerunner would look Lovely in your new fabric...

  18. Happy anniversary. What an achievement! I'm sure whatever you do with the fabric it will look great x

  19. Congratulations on your 35th wedding anniversary!

  20. Happy anniversary Carol :) My parents were married the year before in December. The fabric is absolutely gorgeous. I think it would make a lovely runner.

  21. I'd go the table runner. Happy Anniversary chook. That is quite an achievement! What is the 'traditional gift' for 35 years? x

  22. Congrats and great fabric! Table runner, table cloth, it would be a shame to cut it up too much! :)


i am delighted that you care enough to comment..i love to read each one of them..thank you!